Friday, March 13, 2015

Sometimes They Surprise You… (SoLSC 13/31) #sol15

I have high expectations for all of my students…because they need to know they can meet them.

I expect a lot from them…because they need to be ready for high school and success beyond.

I press them to go further than mediocre…because they need to show their best.

I keep pushing them to revise and try more…because they need to learn that work is involved in improving.

I want them to remember what they’ve learned…because they need to use what they know for their futures.

I want lessons to work out…but sometimes they don’t.

I hope for new ideas to go well…but sometimes they surprise me and surpass even what I expected and hoped they could do.

I plan for certain things to happen…but sometimes they surprise me and show depth of thoughts and honesty and emotion in poems that I never would have expected.

I am thankful that we are Slicing this month…but sometimes I wish it was all year…because they have grown so much in only 13 days of writing…and I can’t imagine the impact it would make and growth we would see if they were to do it all year.


4 comments:

  1. That's so great that they have already grown as writers in just a short time! You could totally do this all year! Have them slice in your classroom and post them in the room or on a bulletin board and other students and teachers can comment on their writing using post it notes! We do that at my school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the joy of teaching - they surprise you when you least expect it. Bless them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the joy of teaching - they surprise you when you least expect it. Bless them!

    ReplyDelete