Friday, March 6, 2015

Getting Started (SoLSC 6/31) #sol15

As I sit here staring at the blank page, I realize I don’t know where to begin.

This is the hardest part – the getting started.

I look around my room at my students and see…
            …some already writing
            …some looking up, hoping to snatch an idea out of thin air
            …some glancing around, tapping fingers
            …some throwing pens down already done
            …some with furrowed brows trying to think of just the right word
            …some with heads down intent on their page
            …some rubbing their eyes with their hands
            …some stretching out
            …some fidgeting, avoiding
            …some at that moment when the idea hits, and they begin scribbling away

I look at myself and see…
            …a moment of panic – what will I write about?
            …glancing around the room for an idea
            …thinking about what I’m seeing
…observing as a teacher, being inspired as a writer
            …a light bulb moment
            …fingers starting to type, frantically so as not to lose the idea
            …using what’s around me
            …realizing it’s a universal experience

Finally recognizing that what we do every day at this time is a small slice of our lives, and all of a sudden, my Slice for today has written itself.



5 comments:

  1. I love this! That you decided to look around your class and see how they get started and then taking a look at yourself as a writer. Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is that spark that lights the fire of composing a slice. Today, the spark was observing your students. Who knows, what sense will send the next slice into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the gift of being a teacher who writes is that it leads to insights just like this one. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a teacher and writing has also made me realize that I need to have inspirational things in sight for my students who struggle as you did. Creating a doodle before writing or pictures from family and class event s gives them a hook.

    ReplyDelete