Monday, March 2, 2015

Deep Thoughts From the Airport (SoLSC 2/31) #sol15

Here I sit, waiting in an airport for my flight home. I travel quite a bit. See although I live in Wisconsin (even though the winters are rough, Milwaukee is a great city!), my family does not. My parents and little brother live in Phoenix, my older brother and his family with four of my nieces and nephews live in Dallas. I have friends scattered across the country. I attend conferences and conventions. I fly quite a bit, so I know the routine at the airport, security line protocols, and I plan for them to be as efficient as I can.

Today we were randomly selected for the pre-check line. It seemed to take longer than the regular line. As the TSA agent was explaining the rules, I made the comment, "Oh, we're going old school." thinking that since we could keep our shoes on and liquids in the bag (which I already knew), it was a blast from the past. And it really should be going faster. It didn't seem to work that way. It got me thinking that sometimes when we do things that are intended to be faster, if they go against the grain of what we've become used to, it might actually make things less efficient.

The end of my deep thoughts from the airport for now. I'm sure there's a connection to the classroom, and life, here somewhere.

6 comments:

  1. Airports are not fun but I will put up with it to travel. Hope you had a good flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when I get picked for the pre-check line! You're right - usually it is much faster. I'm always so relieved that I don't have to take my shoes, jacket, and various other items off. There is a lot of slice potential at an airport! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, being picked for the pre-check line is much better than the other. I wonder why it was taking your line so long? So, I wonder...were you flying from someplace warm? Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are safely home by the time I'm writing this. Tomorrow looks to be yucky weather for the midwest, certainly for Chicago, and I'm guessing Milwaukee won't escape the icy nastiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though you have friends and family scattered across the country, you are lucky to be able to travel. It must be hard to be used to things going faster and then it goes slower sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of love airports. It's helpful when you know what to expect. When I flew home from NCTE in November, I had a bit of a wait in the airport. As I waited, I thought about how cool it is that everyone is coming and going from all over the place. Some people are leaving, some are coming home, some are passing through, but there are people from all over. It's pretty awesome when you think of it. I hope you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete